The need to promote responsible gambling practices
Gambling is a perennial element of human entertainment, underscored by tales of lucky gamblers making substantial winnings. However, the destructive impact of pathological gambling on individuals and families cannot be understated.
While there are inherent risks associated with gambling, these risks can be largely mitigated through available support and safeguards. We are steadfastly committed to ensuring these safeguards are in place, and offer the following reasons for our advocacy of responsible gambling in the digital gaming sector:
- Prevalence of Gambling. An estimated one in ten New Zealanders gambles, with those who participate in online betting at twice the risk of gambling-related harm.
- Financial impact. Individuals with problem gambling can quickly accumulate significant debt and are at a much higher risk of serious financial difficulties than non-gamblers.
- Occupational Consequences. Chronic gambling problems correlate with a wide range of negative occupational outcomes.
- Criminal Correlation. There is evidence of a link between problem gambling and an increase in crime, primarily due to the need to pay debts or recoup losses.
- Family relationships. Pathological gamblers in treatment often report that their gambling has damaged or jeopardized important relationships.
- Youth involvement. Regulators report that up to 18% of New Zealand’s underage population (under the age of 20) gamble regularly. In addition, children of pathological gamblers have shown an increased susceptibility to mental health disorders, including depression and suicidal tendencies.
We highlight these risk factors on many pages of our site for several critical reasons:
- Safety Imperative. Our primary goal is to ensure your safety while providing you with the best possible gaming experience.
- Commitment to Transparency. We believe in being upfront about the potential downsides and risks of gambling.
- Commitment to Clarity. We aim to clearly articulate why the promotion of responsible gaming is of paramount importance to the industry.
The resulting content provides insight into how to avoid the pitfalls of problem gambling and strategies for recovery.